Archive for June, 2011

Repairing the mess under the mothership

Thursday, June 30th, 2011

Finished repairing the damage between the Mothership drop-target and Mothership hole today. Here’s how it went:

Firstly I drilled four holes into the damaged area and glued 4 stumps of matches into the holes. This was to give the thin wall between both holes more strength.

Dividing wall strengthened with matches

With hindsight, I should have used toothpicks to strengthen this section, as toothpicks are made of a hard wood, whereas matches are made of soft wood. Still, better than nothing!

Next was building the wall up with “PC Lumber”:

Dividing wall built up with "PC Lumber"

Finally, having waitied for the wall to dry I sanded it down with sandpaper, trying to mould the right profile:

Repair ready for painting

Just the painting left to do now.

First disaster strikes AFM!

Sunday, June 12th, 2011

The “Return To Battle” insert had lifted and so today was the day where I tried to level it with the playfield.

So using a 1500W heat gun I carefully heated the rear of the insert to soften the glue and applied gentle pressure to the front to try to reseat the insert.

It didn’t work.

In fact instead of leveling the insert I managed to warp it, so that it stood even more proud.

AND I managed to overheat the insert so much, that it bubbled and the clearcoat delaminated. 

Return to Battle

Overheated RTB Insert with delamination of clearcoat - Aggh!